Wednesday, September 18, 2002

Today's Topic: Interracial Dating

A hot topic at times, interracial dating has been more common in society. This is largely due to the 'changing of the guard' in our society. Young people don't see their peers race nearly as quickly as their parents did at that age. They aren't as programmed as once was the case. This stands true for my generation as well (generation x'ers, what what!!). As a black man dating a white woman that I will eventually marry, I live in the delight of an interracial relationship.

L-boogie (code name I'll use for my gal) doesn't see the constant looks we receive from people walking through the mall, restaurant, or whatever. It's not just white people looking at you either. Some of the worst glares I have actually received have come from my people. More specifically, black woman looking at me with expressions bordering on utter disgust. Rarely, do I notice a look from a black man that is so outwardly disapproving.

This brings to mind an incident that happened at work. When a black coworker found out that I was dating L-Boogie, she immediately said, "You only like the white women!" Funny thing is that this is the only white woman I have ever dated in my life and she just happened to be the one. But to hear my co-worker talk, she would have you believe that I was on the search for a white woman, that I thought I was too good for a black woman. She still comes to me and says these things now but I have my own way with dealing with it. Whenever she gets on a rant, I ask her to speak up just to see if she is willing to say what she is saying loud enough for the white coworkers to hear. She suddenly becomes quiet. She's a pretty cool coworker. . . . .when she isn't talking.

No comments: