Thursday, May 19, 2005

Act Your Age

I guess I just don't get it. Mrs. Xpinionated thinks I act 22 or so because I want to hang out at my local sports bar. It's like there is some unwritten rule somewhere that says you have to settle down. You have to stop going out. There's another unwritten rule somewhere that they have instituted that says once you're married, you can't go out to a bar. Here's my take.

I live my life doing whatever I can to enjoy my life. I don't get my kicks from housework, or yardwork. I don't get my kicks watching regular TV programming. I enjoy bars. I'm a bar person. I may be at a bar for 4 hours having 3 beers and having a genuinely great time. But according to 'them' I am not acting my 30 years. When exactly did it become official that after a certain age you shouldn't enjoy what you've enjoyed previously.

"You need to settle down and be responsible" . . . . .Why can't I be responsible and not settle down? Why must my entire life change in order to embrace 'responsibility'? What about me going to a bar, enjoying myself, going home to my wife, going to sleep, waking up for work, getting to work and getting my job done, having the money to pay bills and live middle class comfortable is such a problem....

Of course, Mrs Xpinionated asks her coworkers what they do on the weekends and they say things like go to dinners with friends, catch a show or whatever.....That's not my thing. I don't want to go sit with people at a restaurant and pretend that life is Melrose Place. I'd much rather go to a bar and see what life was like on Cheers. I am more than willing to do things that Mrs X wants to but if we don't have any plans, I see nothing wrong with me going to my local watering hole.

I guess this boils down to some of the very early Xpinionated postings where I'm tired of people (and not just Mrs X) saying that my life should follow this predetermined, now that you're this old you should be doing this, path. Hell, I didn't even discover the beauty of bar life until I was 24 or so. And why is it we only get too old to do things that we like but we never get too old to do things we don't like?

1 comment:

We Three Spences said...

Dear X,
Maybe she is just lonely for you.
Jan