Monday, February 02, 2004

Well, for the second time in three years the patriots (I refuse to capitalize that) have won the super bowl. The first time was a bonified fluke in my opinion. If that game in 2002 is played 10 times the Rams win 9 of those ten times. It just so happened that the one that was played was the one that counted. I will not say that this last super bowl was a fluke, but I will say them being there (yes even with consideration for their win streak) is a fluke (though I have to imagine the referees had to be getting some sort of kick back).

I find it hard to cheer, congratulate, or admire a champion that is unable to truly dominate a single game. Yes, I know this is the Super Bowl and it's the matchup of the two best (or hottest) teams in the league so a close should be expected. But even looking back through their season, they weren't in a particularly strong division yet they had only one blowout victory against a pitiful Bills (although the Bills did give it to them in the first game of the season). They also lost to my Washington Redskins as well as needed overtime to beat the Texans. They required horrible playcalling in week 16 (an approximation) to get by the Colts the first time and horrendous lack of officiating to get by them the second time. They beat an injury riddled Titans team in the playoffs although it seems the Titans are always injury riddled. They were just not impressive.

My theory on teams that win in the last period of a game is contrary to what the experts would have you believe. See the experts say coming through with clutch victiories shows heart......wrong! Coming through with clutch victories against good teams or superior teams shows heart. Needing that for everyone is just a
  • Lack of concentration
  • Lack of talent
  • Lots and lots of luck
  • A generally mediocre performance for most of the game


Working in Boston my views are not looked upon in the most positive fashion. Rather, I get the all too common and oft overused 'You're a hater.' My main reason for not cheering for the pats is because I have yet to encounter a New England fan that will listen to a sensible argument about the game. They are generally the most blind, one-sided fans I have ever met. And this goes for red sox fans as well. Oddly enough, the celtics aren't winning so no one seems to notice them too much. Kinda like the amount of attention the pats received at the beginning of the year. Actually now that I think about it, there were hardly ever any crowds at the Avenue to watch most of the early season of the pats. The crowds didn't start gathering until the winning streak was solidly under way. Strange how that could happen in such a sports loyal city....

Aaaah, but what do I know. I'm just an outsider who refuses to resign my current loyalties in order to jump on the pats bandwagon so I can fit in with my peers. Maybe it's the thug in me....

No comments: