Wednesday, September 29, 2004

You know, I mentioned that I spend a bit of time posting on sportsrant.com. I've noticed that many posters there tend to dislike black players much more so than white players. For example, there's a current thread about how much they dislike Kellen Winslow. Their reason for their dislike is mainly his holding out for money as a rookie. No one mentions that Eli Manning received a ridiculous amount of money as a rookie, that Ben Roethlisberger received a ridiculous amount of money as a rookie, but they all fervently remember Kellen Winslow holding out.

Another post involves this guy saying Mike Vick is overrated. Among his arguments as to why this is so, he states the media's desire for the success of a black quarterback; basically rehashing Rush Limbaugh's statement. Alas, Race has officially been entered into the conversation.

Now as far as I have been able to tell, I'm the only intelligent Black person I know of posting on the forum. There is one other person claiming to be of color, but I'm not sure what that color is and he is far from intelligent. So when conversations of race come in, the former militant in me rises to the occasion and spits his knowledge.

And it almost never fails, that I am accused of letting my race cloud my vision as it was so aptly put last time I heard it. But, what I don't think people realize is that we all see through cloudy, cloudy glasses. I can only see things as a black man. My life has been lived as a black man, my experiences, interactions, conversations have been as a black man. What a lot of white people don't seem to see, in my opinion and this includes my fiancee, is that the world is very different when race has been put foremost in your perspective.

As a black man, I can never leave race at home because I have been treated differently in various situations because I was a black man. Best example, when I'm out with my white fiancee, she never or at least hardly ever sees the looks that people give us. Is it because I'm overly sensitive or hyper attentive? No. It's because if I were walking through that mall alone, 50% of those people would still give me that same damn look. That look of slight disapproval or mistrust or something. When I'm with her, it's just a definite disapproval. This is my life. I don't let it change my mood because I'm used to it. When I'm in a bar, you'd be surprised at the number of my friends (particularly white male friends) that say what's up homie to me but never say that to one of their white friends. Why I gotta be homie?? It's funny and I shake it off but the fact that it's done is still a glaring reminder that I'm black and he's white.

Okay okay, I think I'm done now....oops no I'm not. I think anyone that tells you they don't see color is lying. You see color because it's what you see. Granted you shouldn't judge based on the color you see but you do, it's human instinct. Just like if I see a blonde, I'm going to have certain preconceptions about her until I get to know her. If a see a white male, same thing. My experiences have built my perceptions and my perceptions are applied until there is reason to change them....

Where the hell was this post headed????

No comments: