Friday, November 02, 2007

A Formal Apology to Sean Glennon

Well Mr. Glennon, it appears I owe you an apology.  Last night, you looked like the quarterback that I see in NCAA 2008.  You were efficient, accurate, and smart.  I apologize for previous commentary in this blog with reservations.  I know that sounds like a cheap apology however......

Since coming off the bench, you have been a different player.  Where before indecision led to you getting sacked, now you take off (still a little late sometimes but you do).  Where before a pass to the flats would make it to the flats only 60% of the time, now passes are getting to the wideouts.  It looks like it took a little adversity to get your confidence shaken and then strengthened. 

I'll admit, when T-squared went down, I was less than optimistic.  But then you had a pretty decent game and I said to myself, quality backup is good to have.  After all, you were lighting up Duke so that's not exactly a proving ground.  Then came the BC game, and you strode onto the field, and again my optimism was shaken but nearly as much as it was when you strode onto the field against LSU.  Faith was building.  Then you played a solid game, no huge numbers but what was good was that there weren't any huge mistakes.  I think that's where my faith was weakest in you, your inability to get sacked without fumbling bothered me (particularly blindsided sacks -- which is somewhat understandable -- but still). 

Alas, you rolled into Bobby Dodd stadium.  No jersey, sharpie all over the opponent's loaned threads like you were an underprivileged quarterback playing for Goldie Hawn in Wildcats.  I didn't shutter when I saw you take the field.  In fact, I didn't think about you at all, which is a good sign that you are not my concerns for the game.

Then work calls, I have to leave the watering hole to go make the bread.  I work furiously, checking Foxsports.com and I see you're 13 of 15.  Whoa....where'd that come from?!?!  I finish work and head back to the watering hole.  And your performance inspired me, brought confidence back that had been shattered by LSU. 

At this point, even if T-squared is healthy, I think it may be your job to lose.  And remember that feeling of being replaced against LSU, remember that plane ride home.  And you let that be the spur in your ass. 

Sean Glennon, I apologize.

No comments: