Wednesday, January 21, 2004

I've been told recently on several different occasions that I have to be the center of attention. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Each time it happens, I can't quite make out the tone of the person telling me. They have a smile on their face and they sound like they are beiing good natured but at the same time I feel defensive. I don't think I HAVE to be the center of attention, it just happens in a lot of situations. I will readily admit that I can be pretty damn funny/silly/etc in social situations. And I will say some things out of left field in comedic efforts but I hardly think I am demanding any and everyone's attention. I enjoy making people laugh. I enjoy laughing. Hell, I laugh at myself probably more than anything/anyone else. I will happily stop making jokes if there is someone that can make me laugh harder than I can make myself laugh. When that happens, I will no longer demand to be (not that I demand it, it just happens) the center of attention.

What makes this funny is that I consider myself to be shy. I was very shy when I started college but the friends I made there drew me out of my shyness. However, when I am by myself, which I am quite often, I rarely draw up a conversation with a stranger because I don't feel like I'm any good at small talk and I'm not the kind to ask personal questions. I feel you'll tell me what you want me to know and we'll go from there. Is that being self centered??? Oh so much self analysis, so little time!!

No comments: