Tuesday, January 13, 2004

[Listening to: Love's a Game - Marques Houston - MH (03:59)]

Now this is what sports reporters should be about. A little background first: the Lakers played the Cavaliers last night. The Lakers pulled out a victory. I notice an article on the internet entitled 'Lame Lakers Limp past Cavs'. Lame because Kobe got hurt leaving us with only one of our big four on the floor. It's also important to notice that the article was written for the Akron Beacon Journal. So I read the article and it seemed to me to be putting Lebron in a light that wasn't necessarily the case being as I saw the entire game. So after reading the article and the stats that LeBron was attributed, I shot the following email off to the author of the article:

I just read you Lame Lakers Limp article. I noticed you didn't mention LeBron's six turnovers since you mentioned his seven assists???


Now I'll be the first to admit that I was looking to pick a fight, well maybe not a fight but a heated argument with this sportswriter just because I find most sportswriters to be Sports Republicans. But I was dead wrong. First, he actually responded to the email which surprised me beyond comprehension. There have been so many times where I have sent an email to an address on the internet trying to start a discussion and this is only the second time I have ever had a response. Secondly, though, his response was not at all what I expected:



Xavier,

I agree it was a lame article. I filed it 37 seconds
after the game ended due to time zone and deadline
issues. I also didn't mention that he went 0-5 from
the field in the fourth quarter or that the team shot
25 percent as well.

I appreciate your thoroughness.

B******** W***********
Akron Beacon Journal



I am keeping his name confidential since he didn't exactly agree to me posting this email. But I thought was exceptionally cool of him to respond and to be so non-defensive. Kudos to B******** W********.

No comments: