Thursday, April 03, 2008

Amazing

This fatherhood thing truly is amazing.  I can't see how any man would not want to be around his child.  I can't see how any man wouldn't do anything for his child.  My son can bring me out of a funk with a simple smile or shout, both of which are just as likely to occur at any random moment. 

This morning he introduced a new game showing his mischievous side.  When I'm in the closet searching for another extraordinary Xpinionated outfit, lil Man will either come in there with me or close the door.  He used to close the door and just wait outside.  This morning though he closed the door and all I heard was the pitter patter of little feet off to do something they inevitably weren't supposed to be doing.  So I turn the handle to let myself out and those some pitter patters come back in a blaze.  He peeks around the door, smiles, and shuts it.  And again, pitter patter.  Back and forth we go, shut and run, run and smile and shut.  Until finally, he opens the door and I throw a shirt of his head making him giggle but also giving me time to get out of the closet (the Logo channel would be so proud!).  Things like this can make any ordinary day something a bit more special. 

For the last three nights, he has decided he is ready for bed.  He lets us know by grabbing one of our fingers to take us on a journey.  We say, 'Devin do you want to go up up?'  Meaning are you ready for bed and he leads us to the stairs.  Now this isn't to say that he doesn't still fight the sleepies but the fact that between 8 and 9, he knows it's getting close to counting sheep time.  He probably thinks since he has more freedom upstairs since we let him rummage in a couple more rooms than we do downstairs, that if he can just get to the cusp of freedom things will be just as he likes them:  just out of sight of us but not so far that he doesn't know where we are.  But we think, if we can just get him to sleep........we usually win......for now.

No comments: