Friday, August 11, 2006

Proud Owner of XBox 360

Ok, ok, I'll admit it.  I broke down.  I talked a lot of trash to a lot of folks and now I've got to eat my words.

When the Xbox 360 came out, I formally denounced it.  'Nay I say to that monstrosity from Microsoft!'  After all, I was a loyal Playstation fan.  Nothing could change that. Playstation took me in after being orphaned by my Dreamcast and treated me as one of it's own!  The Playstation traveled with me and was none the worse for wear.   Through the ridiculously inhumane winters of Boston, to the sultry summer in Winston-Salem, like the Jackson 5, the Playstation was there!

Then it happened.  Exposure.  July 4th.  Charleston, South Carolina.  We're visiting old friends.  We arrive at their nice home and after a few minutes I notice a gaming console.  Unknown to me yet strangely familiar.  'Is that an Xbox . . . 360?', I inquire of the lady of the house.  Positivitory!  That's not what she said but that is beer influenced vocabulary.  Not really a long story short, I played that 360 for a good 60% of our waking hours in Charleston.  I was hooked.

Fast forward to August 10th, 2006.  I had told Mrs. Xpinionated that once I found a job, my congratulatory gift to myself would be the purchase of an XBox 360 and associated game and hardware.  I received an offer of employment yesterday that I have every intention of accepting.  On my way home, I called my wife to explain to her that I was getting close to an exit that provided access to a Best Buy.  I wasn't asking permission per-se, I was just informing her of possible decision making processes occurring.  In any case, my call went to her voice-mail....red team go, I repeat, red team go!!

As I'm perusing the merchandise, my cellular alerts me to communication efforts from my spouse.

"Are you still in the store", she asks.

"Uh, yeah.  How are you?", I counter smoothly.

"Are you buying it?", she inquires.

"Um, er.....yeah man I'm gonna get it" I say breaking down.

"Fine, whatever, just pay for it with your severance!  And if you get that then we have to get an entertainment center!" she demands.  Somehow, when I get something she gets something.  However, when she gets something....it's a toss up.

All this is to say I love this damn thing.  PS3...taking entirely too long to hit the market and I have been promptly scared off by the price of it.  This isn't to say the price of the 360 wasn't daunting but what Sony is estimating is ridiculous.   The graphics on the 360 are breathtaking, the operating system and Xbox Live are more than entertaining in their own right.  I'm still working on the streaming media part but overall I'm impressed..

Ohh, the wife is done playing gotta go!!!

No comments: