Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Drought in Ga? I'm still washing my car

Georgia is in a drought.  One of the worse droughts in recent history.  I've done my part, partly out of laziness, in that I've washed my car twice this summer (if you know me and my car you know that hurts) and I've watered my grass exactly zero times.  

What does Coca Cola and Stone Mountain do to show their doing their part during some of the harshest water restrictions ever laid down in Georgia?  They will use 38 gallons of water a minute for 12 - 18 hours a day for the next month as they make snow, yes snow, for Coca Cola's Snow Mountain event in November.  1.2 million gallons of water for making snow....in Atlanta, Ga.....in 80 degree heat.....for entertainment purposes.

Their rationale?  The number of gallons they are using is but a fraction of what the golf courses in Atlanta are using.  So if I steal but a fraction of what a bank robber steals, it's all good?  Not to mention, many of the golf courses supply their own water and are not taking from the ever diminishing supply of drinking water. 

I may actually have to ban coke products now.  Wait, I'm a Pepsi drinker anyway and I banned Stone Mountain years ago after that July 4th fiasco.  I guess I can do my part to spread the word....and no, I will not wash my car in protest....but I should!

No comments: