Thursday, July 15, 2004

I thought it best that I not immediately comment on the happenings surrounding Shaquille O'Neal (no longer Shaq, no nicknames for non-Lakers). Up until late last night, I tried to remain neutral given that Shaquille had been a Laker for eight years, I had grown accustom to having the dynamic duo, and that there seemed to be something fishy about the way Mitch Kupchak and Jerry Buss were handling things. Then I watched a press conference by Kupchak, who I still have no faith in as a GM but more on that later. The thing that turned me against Shaquille (and this is a new feeling for me, but it is a passionate one) is the fact that he turned down an extension that would have kept him the highest paid player in the league. What more could you want in a league that's willing to give Carlos Boozer 68 million bucks? But to listen to Shaquille speak, you would think they offered nothing. He says he didn't like the way the team was going, that the executives didn't come to him and communicate effectively, that the organization didn't keep things 'in-house' so to speak. Oddly enough, he is\was the first person to speak to the press about matters that should have been kept 'in house'. It is sad to see what could have been disappear so quickly, so underhandedly (on both sides), and so trivially.

As for Mitch Kupchak, why in the hell are we getting Brian 'my accomplishments in the league (and I played against Magic) total zero' Grant, Lamar 'I've been to L.A. but never really did anything' Odom, and Caron 'unproven' Butler in exchange for a franchise player? Oh yeah, we also get a first round pick which may sound nice unless Miami finishes in the upper echelon of teams then it becomes a twenty something pick....woohoo! Mitch has thrived off the team the Mr. West built. He has yet to make a single improvement that he can call his own. Payton and Malone? They came on their own accord. Now there is a possibility of losing Kobe, Derek Fisher, and a few others. Let's put Magic in the GM's chair....he garners respect from the players, the fans, and anyone who has anything to do with basketball. And further, he's a helluva businessman who knows the game. Yeah, Magic couldn't coach but that's a different animal.

Needless to say, I am not the happiest Laker fan there is right now. I guess I need to try to get excited about our new look teams and try to build some enthusiasm that can only come from the loyalty of a true fan.....shit's gonna be hard though....

No comments: