Thursday, August 13, 2009

Warmth

My wife and kids went to Florida Sunday for a mini vacation.  Due to work obligations, and the fact that I didn't want to drive to Florida so I could be stuck in a house working while everyone one else was upping their vitamin D intake, I stayed in Georgia.  I thought I would take advantage of the empty house by living pseudo-bachelor.  Work during the day, drink during the night.  All that I really did was learn that I'm no longer the drinker I once was.

Then came the trip back for Mrs. Xpinionated.  Natalia apparently had had enough of car travels and pitched a holy fit for 70% of the drive by my estimations based on phone calls from a slightly more than exasperated Mrs. Xpinionated.   To ease the situation, I drove out to meet my wife and take the fed up little angel.  As luck would have it, construction forbade us to meet as planned and as she headed north, she passed right on past her knight in slowing traffic.

Anyway, after miles and miles of dashed lines, we make the switch.  And their was this warmth in me.  Just seeing my little girl, then seeing the half smile of recognition on her face melted me.  She could have cried the rest of the way home (she did not) and I wouldn't have cared a single bit.








F

Later, as I'm taking my son out of the car in the sleepy kid fashion where every body part is virtually dead weight, he barely opens his eyes, smiles, and hugs my neck.  I felt so loved right at that moment.  He then fell asleep on my shoulder with a smile on his face.  I put him to bed and he wouldn't let go of my neck. . .  and I didn't want him to....

No comments: