Tuesday, June 28, 2005

More on the smoking ban

Yes, I still do not know what the local watering hole is going to do. It really does piss me off that they haven't made a choice. They recently attained pool tables which makes boring nights there that much more entertaining. They may think their family friendly environment is the way to go but remember those nights where the only customers still in the joint are 1) smoking and 2) drinking alchohol. In a business whose money is based largely on alcohol consumption, I hope they think long and hard before making the 'sentimental' choice.

I know of one bar in the area that has already said it will allow smoking but it's a Mexican joint and that's not my thing. I would always be hungry there. Plus, I don't like having to start over and build my reputation as a regular up again. Plus, I highly doubt that they are a true sports bar so I wouldn't be able to see Lakers games like I'm used to.

I find it odd that the government can issue a smoking ban on public places and the term public places includes private property. The bars don't receive any local, state, or federal funding so how exactly are they 'public'. They are private properties owned by private citizens or business. Just as a police officer can do nothing for you in an accident in a bar parking lot, nor should the government be allowed to tell bars what the clientele is and isn't allowed to do.

Mrs. Xpinionated is in favor of the ban and thinks that the ban will cause me to quit smoking. What she doesn't seem to grasp is that I smoke because I enjoy it. Do I plan to quit? Yes, I have every intention of quitting, but right now I enjoy it. I go to Jeffrey's (the local watering hole) for three reasons (during non sports season - Baseball is not a sport): 1) I can smoke in peace, 2) I can hang out with the closest thing I have to friends, 3) I like bars, that bar in particular.

All these non-smokers say things like 'why should I have to breathe in your smoke'. I guess for the same reason I have to watch where I walk in a bar because your non parental ass isn't watching your little careless rugrat as they run roughshod throughout the joint! They say things like they will go out more often now because of the smoking ban....chances are you won't go out anymore often than you did before. Secondly, if you're so worried about your health and the health of others, perhaps we should close down restaurants serving food that doesn't fit a standardized healthy diet law, or maybe restrict to less than obese people only. Screw civil liberties and personal freedoms, it's all about political fuckin'friggin' correctness (an 'excuse my language' goes out to my parents and Pastor Bill - by the way Pastor Bill, here's your shout out....go visit Pastor Bill here.

I keep hearing all these stats about a majority of the population favors a smoking ban. Funny, I wonder if a majority of bar patrons favor a smoking ban since those are the ones that will be affected the most. Screw it, perhaps I will only patronize 'adult friendly' establishments starting Friday. And I think I'm gonna have a smoke fest at Jeffrey's on Thursday in protest if they decide to go non-smoking.

No comments: