Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Passing as News 6/29/2005

FOXNews.com - U.S. & World - Holloway's Mom: Dutch Dad Hiding Something

Seriously, for such a 'grief-stricken' mother, this woman has released more interviews, press releases, and press statements than Tom Cruise over the past two weeks. I don't mean to trivialize her situation, but as I mentioned last week, I'm disgusted by the way 'supposed' victims seem to tan in the limelight lately.

So you mean to tell me that the fact that she thinks the father of someone arrested in connection with her daughter's disappearance (which I have issues with but maybe I'll touch on that later) is hiding something is news? That's the state of journalism now? Duh....we'd expect him to hide something. The kicker is when the mother states that she will remain on the island to 'see what happens'. Hmm, Alabama. . . Aruba. . . Alabama. . . .Aruba . . . .

Once again, I don't mean to make fun of the true tragedy here but this mother's constant voice in the press has truly made me a little lless sensitive to the case. It's sad but at the same time disappointing on a few levels. For example, why is it you can rarely find an article talking about how she was abducted? From what I've read previously, she got into a car with three dudes she didn't know at a club. For an honor student, there is some common sense missing there...this is not to say she deserved what happened to her in any way...no one deserves that type of fear and trepidation. I'm just pointing out that she did do something that could have possibly prevented the entire situation.

But I digress...This is not news, the mother's statements should no longer be news. Especially since it almost seems that she's doing it just to keep in the short attention span of the media....

No comments: