Thursday, June 23, 2005

New Feature

A new feature begins today called 'Passing as News'. In this feature, we will pull a headline or two or three and try figure exactly why this is passing as news.

PASSING AS NEWS 6/23/2005


CNN.com - Luxury store apologizes to Oprah - Jun 22, 2005
Oprah is "hopping mad" that a luxury store denied her entrance at closing time. She claims had she been a white celebrity, they would have undoubtedly let her in. Let's dig deeper:
1) Would they have let me in at closing hour? And further more, would Oprah think that my denied entry was worthy of talk time on her show? Doubt it. Heaven forbid, the world treat a celebrity like a regular Joe....er Janet. I mean seriously, the store's employees have been there all day working. The last thing they need is some high falutin' celebrity to come up and act as if she owns the world and deserves special treatment. If you knew exactly the kind of watch you wanted to buy, why did you wait until closing time to pick it up, oops my bad 15 minutes after closing time. Waaaaaaahhhh.....

2) Oprah, most of your core audience can't afford to shop where you shop so who are you really trying to influence with speaking about the incident on your little show? Let it go, use the medium for something positive....

3) When I can finally afford it, I'm not gonna shop at the store. Not because of Oprah's whining....nope, because the store apologized for being closed. They close at 6:30....she got there after that....end of story.


3 comments:

Karmen said...

I agree with you.
Celebrities, in general, have gotten out of hand. They believe their own hype and it's just sick.

We Three Spences said...

Hi X
To poor Oprah...Waaa-Waaa-Waaa!
Thanks for the story.
I hadn't heard it.
Jan

Xpinionated said...

Out of hand is correct, much like the Tom Cruise thing. But I'm so tired of hearing about TC and his baby bride I don't know what to do with myself.

Hey Jan, how ya been??