Thursday, August 19, 2004

Good start to the day. First a little background....I'm officially thirty...okay not official 'til next month but mentally I'm done. All week I have chosen to listen to sports talk radio instead of CD's or music radio on my way to and from work. I just flip back and forth between 790 and 680....yes AM radio...whudda thunkit??? Anyway, on 790 this morning they did this thing (don't know if it's a regular thing 'cause I just started listening) called barbershop roll call where they call a barbershop and inquire about specials....basically free advertising for the barbershop. So they called this one place and the owner refused to give out any information stating he was too busy to talk...at 8 am in a barbershop! Never thought that barbershops had a morning rush but I could be wrong...doubt it though....N e way, the radio guy goes off talking about how he was raised in a barbershop (this is the black guy on the morning show) and how much barbers love to talk...which is true . . .at least in a black barbershop. So somehow the discussion turns to whether or not the barber they had called was white or black....Now I've always been able to tell over the phone whether a person is white or black at a 90 to 95 percent clip. Just the voice inflections and how things are said. So the radio folks decide to ask the listeners to call in to tell if they thought the barber was white or black....since I was sitting in traffic thinking about playing with myself (joke...kind of) I called in. I didn't get on the radio but I did get a $25 gift certificate to Santana's or something...don't know what Santana's or whatever they said is but it's a free 25 bucks.....Free stuff is always a good start...

By the way the barber was white...if for no other reason than he ended every sentence with 'buddy' and that's not something black folks do...not every sentence...nope

No comments: