Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Bad News

After the excitement of finding out that we were expecting, we were hit with the disappointment of a miscarriage. Initially, we found out last week on Wednesday. The wife had symptoms that are common to a miscarriage but that are also common in an early pregnancy. After her doctor's appointment the following day, there was a slim chance that a miscarriage had not occurred but given the evidence it was unlikely.

I took the news kind of hard. I don't think I showed it outwardly so much as I tried to stay optimistic hoping the follow up appointment would result in us still being pregnant. I think the absence of 100% proof helped my wife handle it better as she was able to fortify herself for bad news this week should the miscarriage prove to be true. It helped me as well. Even though I remained hopeful, in the back of my mind I think I knew what the follow-up would show. In any case, I think we've handled it quite well.

We've also found ourselves becoming much more knowledgeable concerning pregnancies, particularly early pregnancies and the exact biological processes occuring that make it happen.

Unfortunately, I sometimes wonder if karma is rearing its head due to the two previous abortions I went through with ex-girlfriends in college. Though I am pro-choice, I can certainly say that I will never advocate an abortion if there is any other possible solution.

No comments: