Monday, February 09, 2009

Layoff Lessons #3

Week 6 begins and still no solid leads of any kind. It's starting to get the best of me. I'm moody, short tempered, up and down and quick to be down.

I just feel like I'm starting to be identified as unemployed. Whenever we go to a friend's house, my job status comes up...something that never happened when I had a job. Folks are always asking how the job hunt is going. I understand that they are concerned and mean no harm. But I take being unemployed personally. I feel like a letdown, like I'm useless.

And I know the time I have gotten to spend with lil man is priceless. But, right now, the only time I truly feel like ol' Xpinionated is when I'm in the gym. No one there knows I've been laid off. Hell, last night when I caught the end of the Lamar Odom coming out party against Cleveland, people were asking me how I was after not seeing me for quite awhile. Just to maintain my senses, to hold on to the old Xpinionated for a little while, I lied. I said everything was fine. I didn't want to network. I didn't want the name of a friend of a friend. I didn't want to tell people what I do. I just wanted to watch my game in my old watering hole.

It sounds selfish maybe, I don't know. Maybe this is just a down time although this downer has lasted a good part of three days now.

Oh well, luckily I'm not the type to act rashly....I'll just figure it out I reckon.

No comments: