Monday, May 08, 2006

The hardest thing

The hardest thing to do is to step back and evaluate yourself. I mean truly look at yourself and figure out what it is you want, what makes you happy, what impression do you want to leave on this world. If you've never sat down and done this, it becomes a more daunting task, a task which I face now, as time speeds along.

Triggered mainly by my current work situation, I'm having second thoughts about my chosen field of work. Along with those second thoughts come the obvious questions of what else would I do? Therein lies the problem. For as long as I can remember I've always said I would work in computers when I grew up. Never really entertained thoughts of doing anything else. Now, this whole IT thing isn't exciting me. I go to work because it pays for the lifestyle that keeps me happy. The work isn't fulfilling, captivating, or at all life enriching.

Perhaps it's because it seems as if I've been doing the same thing for nearly eight years now. So maybe looking into some other area of IT is what I need to do. But I have had several affairs with other technologies but after the initial newness, my attention wanes...quickly.

Maybe I should just start with a list of keywords of things I like or like to do and see if there are any obvious patterns....

No comments: