Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Killed Softly -- Boredom the new health threat.

My last email of any importance came at 9:23 am. And even then, there was no action item. People are always running around at their jobs. What they wouldn't give for a free minute....but I'm here to tell you, it's not all that great. In fact, too much free time is demoralizing. I think it is spilling into my non-work life as I spend eight hours a day hoping praying wishing for an email with a task of some kind, getting no satisfaction, then going home de-energized, not tired, but not motivated....

There is an application being outsourced here whose programmers said it would take eight weeks to perform a knowledge transfer to the outsourcing folks. Thecame in, performed their analysis, and said the knowledge transfer would take 18 weeks to complete. ? ? ? If I tell you that I can teach you something in two hours and your response is you'll need six hours to learn it, do I really feel comfortable letting you take over once all is said and done? Aren't you pretty much doubting yourself??? And if you're doubting yourself this early in the process, aren't you asking your clients to have a reasonably large amount of faith in your abilities?

Do you think that it would fly if I told my next employer that I'll probably need a longer orientation to get a handle on things and I fully expect to be paid for this? So why do companies allow outsourcers to do this?

No comments: