Thursday, September 16, 2004

Bob Pruett coach of the Marshall Thundering Herd referred to the Ohio State Buckeyes as a bunch of Mandingos. As you can imagine the press and some black community leaders went up in arms about this. My take: it's a compliment, the Mandingo tribes were know for their strength, their size, and their physical prowess. Should he have used the term? Probably not but that's more related to political correctness than whether or not blacks should be offended. I don't think he meant the term in any negative way. I think he truly thought he was giving the Bucks credit. Hell, when I'm boosting my own ego I refer to myself as a Mandingo Warrior....I mean, c'mon, I know there is still a racial struggle going on but everything needs to be taken in context. When Paul Hornung made his comments this past year about lowering academic standards for black athletes, that's offensive. But using a term that is not even full slang, a term that refers to an actual historical fact, that my faithful (or at least kinda faithful) readers is not offensive.

No comments: