Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Black History month revisited

It's funny. This month I have told more white friends that it is black history month who had absolutely no clue. Soon after, with a couple of them anyway, the question of why is there no white history month came up.

Here's something to think about? White people are the majority. As such, unless specifically designated, it is assumed white. For example, when someone breaks a record, you never hear "Adam Montolli is the first white American to cross the Everglades in flip flops". However, when a nonwhite person does something you often hear, 'Lawrence Hollis is the first African American to accomplish this feat." You catch my drift?

Once again, the point of having a black history month is to expose the achievements and accomplishments Blacks have had on society that may not be covered in our public education otherwise. Perhaps another example will illustrate my point. I am constantly exposed to 'white' culture (and the debate for what distinguishes white culture from black culture etc is a debate for another time). Often, I don't have the option of tuning it out either. When a white person has to hear some hip hop at a stop light, or sees a video on TV that represents black culture, they can easily remedy their situation in most circumstances. If I want to be amongst my culture, I can't just turn the TV. I am limited to UPN and BET for all intents and purposes if I want guaranteed entertainment concerning black culture (UPN is thrown in their for comedic purposes). I am forced to live in a white culture most of the day at work. This is not meant to be a militant rant. But just as hard as it is for some of my white friends to understand that I have no clue who Jimmy Buffett is, it is just as hard for me to understand that a large segment of the population doesn't realize that there are other cultures outside of their own.

I don't know if the previous commentary makes any sense but I was, no I am, irritated that so many people want to know why there isn't a designated white history month. Funny though, March ( I think it's March) is Women's History month but these same people never ask 'where is men's history month?'

No comments: