Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Told ya

Consider the season tainted. I said two weeks ago that I didn't like the hype up before the game. How it felt like another Miami setup. It's taken me two weeks to come back here and say anything and still I get that bit of bile in the back of my throat.

Quite honestly, the Gator Bowl is a disappointment. No disrespect to Louisville, who may very well catch us with our pants around our ankles, but this season I was looking for at least, at least BCS game. I'm trying to muster some anticipation, some excitement but I find myself looking up Va Tech Bball scores just to avoid reading about another late season collapse (although that is somewhat harsh given the collapses of previous years which were true collapses).

My Problem With ACC Conference Championship Game

Personally, and this is not meant to be an excuse, I don't think the ACC Championship game should be in the state of Florida. There is no way in hell they can consider that mutual. It should be in Tennessee or Kentucky or even Washington D.C. (which is still a 4 hour trip for Hokies fans, not that it matters since our fans travel everywhere pretty well). But having the game in Florida is like telling FSU or Miami that they are playing in their backyard.

Divisions should be used for scheduling only. Instead of having Division winners meet in the Conference championship game, have the two best conference records meet. Hell, Va Tech's conference record is STILL better than FSU's even with the loss. This game cost Va Tech millions, and I truly think the outcome was one of those 2 out of times type of things. If these two teams played a season's worth of games against each other, I feel Va Tech would walk away from that 8 - 3.

Lastly, change the ACC's bowl affiliation if you're going to keep the championship game in Jacksonville. There's a pretty good chance that the team losing the ACC championship game will end up right back in Jacksonville for the Gator Bowl. The bowl games are meant to be a reward to these kids....go somewhere you've never been, see new things, these kids were here a month ago and didn't enjoy it then.....

No comments: