Tuesday, July 07, 2009

King of Pop - The Memorial

I admit.  I did not watch Michael Jackson's memorial service.  Nor did I plan to watch it.  I did however let my curiosity get the best of me for the briefest of moments.

So I logged in to cnn.com, like most other working Americans trying to not work, and began watching.  Within a minute, I had closed the tab, annoyed.  CNN chose to allow the posting of Facebook statuses alongside the live Memorial.  Although I'm sure the intentions were good, the result was disrespectful in my opinion.  Trying to watch the memorial and understand, feel, sympathize, and generally say farewell to Michael Jackson while being inundated with the kind of negativity only the anonymity of the internet can provide was in a word, disheartening.  From people giving their opinions on dress to outrageous comments about who should and should not be allowed to say some words about Michael Jackson, the experience didn't move me to tears....it moved me to wordpress where I could express my thoughts to those who choose to read them.

I think my biggest issue was with the folks who took the opportunity of having a much larger audience to expound on their dislikes of presenters at the memorial.  As if that was the whole point of this affair.  'What does so and so have to do with it?' was a common theme.  What does it matter?  They were fortunate enough to have the opportunity to say some kind words during the memorial, is that in any way bad?

RIP, MJ.  You will be missed.

No comments: