Friday, July 24, 2009

Race Card Misused

Henry Louis Gates, not sure why he gets to use three names but anywho, was arrested at his home in Cambridge, Massachusetts after a neighbor reported a break-in at Gates' home.  What could have turned into a simple misunderstanding has now gotten President Obama making statements, CNN following the story, and a host of race related discussions occurring.

This is the race card in action, unfortunately.  First, without knowing anything more than what CNN has produced, it seems to me that Gates acted somewhat obnoxious and the arresting officer also overreacted.  To be fair, the officer was doing his job in responding to a possible break-in.  To be fair, Gates has a right to be perturbed at this intrusion.

At the same time, the matter could have been over in less than fifteen minutes had Gates shown his identification immediately when requested by the officer.  Just because you're a celebrated professor doesn't necessarily mean everyone knows who you are.  Secondly, the anger Mr. Gates is projecting shouldn't be at the police officer.  Instead, it should be at the neighbor who is the one that racially profiled him.  A better question would be, why the hell doesn't your neighbor recognize you?

Granted, the officer may have gone too far in terms of actually arresting Gates.  And the charge of  'loud and tumultous behaviour in a public place' doesn't really fit for an argument on a private residence.

But all things considered, I don't think the officer has anything to apologize for.  I don't think President Obama should have even mentioned this, much less call the police officer's actions stupid. At some point I imagine the President will have to make a statement about some kind of serious racial incident and having this as a precedent will weaken his words when the time comes.

As a black man, I don't feel I have ever been racially profiled.  I don't say that to imply it doesn't happen.  Hell, I will readily admit that I racial profile myself depending on the situation I'm in.  I acknowledge that every run in I've had with police officers has been warranted (all traffic violations).  When the cops have pulled me over in my rimmed out Magnum, I was speeding, I was crossing a solid white line, and I was tailgating.  Each time, I was treated with respect and one time was even given a compliment about my car.  I've even had an officer check my tinted windows for legality as we shared a beverage at a bar.  What I'm saying is this:  Racial profiling does occur.  However, my experience has been that cooperation leads to a much swifter and agreeable outcome.  Not only that, I'd rather have police officers spend a little more time investigating a call than doing nothing for fear of being called racist.

No comments: