Sunday, July 26, 2009

Owens mouthing off again. . .correctly?!?!

Terrell Owens stepped up to the plate in opposition to an extension of Michael Vick's suspension this morning.  Owens argument is simply that Vick should be allowed to play immediately should he be picked up by a team, and I concur.  Though I've never been an opponent of Terrell Owens, except when he played for the Cowboys (I'm a Skins fan, it's part of the membership), I never thought I would actually agree with much that he said publicly.  But with this I am in agreement.

Michael Vick committed a crime.  To many, a grotesque and heartless crime.  Michael Vick served his time. He's lost two years out of his career (by his own hands admittedly) in a profession where every single year is to be cherished given the lack of pro football career longevity.  On top of that, his fortune is gone.  The money he made, not from his criminal deed, but from his talent is no longer.  Lastly, he has no one he can trust as his so-called friends bailed on him as soon as possible.  At this point, outside of his family there is no one Vick can (or should) fully trust.

Now I don't want to make Michael Vick out to be a victim here.  Like I stated, he willfully chose to commit a crime.  My point is simply this, how many other ex-cons are officially prevented from returning to their livelihoods (if they had one as many turn to crime due to lack of a constant livelihood) when their crime had absolutely nothing to do with their job.  It would be one thing if Vick had gone to jail because of an NFL gambling ring that he financed.  But that's not the case.  From the standpoint of his job, he did nothing that would suggest his job should be permanently taken from him.  Those that suggest otherwise are speaking from a purely emotional standpoint.

I understand some American's obsession with dogs.  In no way am I condoning what he did.  But after two years in prison, and not a 'Martha-Stewart-I-am-a-famous-person celebrity prison -- but Leavenworth, his debt to society has been paid.  If not by his prison sentence, then by his financial loss.  If not by his financial loss, then by his personal losses.

No comments: