Wednesday, December 09, 2009

Full Circle

The Hokies started the season in the Chick Fil A Classic at the Georgia Dome for the 2009 season and will end in the Chick Fil A Bowl at the Georgia Dome on the last evening of 2009.

In a season filled with resounding disappointment (Alabama, North Carolina) and stunning performances (Nebraska – even if a little late, Miami), the Virginia Tech Hokies hope to cap their season off in the Dome much differently than they started it. 

The Tennessee Volunteers will be the Hokies opponents under 1st year coach Lane Kiffin.  To be honest, I’ve no clue what to expect as I didn’t watch any of Tennessee’s games.  From what I’ve heard or at least determined from the scant words throughout the season was that this was more of a rebuilding year.  There had been some fiery words from Lane Kiffin but even those seemed almost like more ploy than anything. 

Alabama v Virginia Tech

The Hokies in my oft-noted jaded opinion are still the best team the ACC has to offer.  Georgia Tech won the conference title this year and my hats go off to them.  I will leave it at that as I don’t want to add ‘buts’, ‘howevers’, and ‘what ifs’.  The Hokies have one statistic that has been the mantra since a conference championship became unattainable – 10wins.  The Hokies are one of three teams (Texas, USC) to win at least 10 games the past 5 seasons.  Impressive company and an impressive streak. 

Even better….I’m going to the game!  Yeah, the Hokies have been in town 3 times this year and this is my first game…I suck…I’m lazy..and we lost both games in our previous trips which is probably my fault….nonetheles…I’m going to this one and doing it with a Tennessee fan no less.  The last time I watched a game with an opposing fan, we lost to UNC…..suddenly I feel like I’m going about this bowl all the wrong way…..

No comments: