Friday, April 23, 2004

An Anti-Anniversary


One year ago today, in about 2 and 1/2 hours, an event occurred in my life that really scared me. And pissed me off. And still pisses me off every now and then. Due to some corporate politics, I was laid off. During my damn annual review no less. There was one person responsible for it. Wait, I take that back. There were two people responsible. I was responsible for not kissing the ass of the other person who kissed ass to gain leverage in our department. When the 'new' head of our department needed a name of someone for cost cutting purposes, it was nothing for the butt cheek chaser to give out my name.

My name! Despite being the only person on the team who had worked on every system for which the team was responsible. Despite being one of the senior members of the team. Despite never receiving a negative annual review. Despite being in the good graces of everyone on the team and countless people in the company as a whole. Despite being the lowest paid member on the team which I know I was (how do you call yourself cutting costs when you cut one of the most valuable and least paid members of the team?). Despite being the trainer and oft-times saviour of the person who replaced me. Despite these facts.....

When have you ever heard of people outside of your department being contacted by HR to let them know that another employee was being let go just to ensure there wouldn't be any issues. Well it happened when I was laid off, twice!

Yet, I must take some of the blame. After all, I could have simply sucked it up and kissed that trick's ass or the very least played the role as others did in my department. But that's not me. If I don't like you, I won't go out of my way to make it known and at the same time I won't play nice either. Ah, but perhaps it was the best for me. I'm making more money than they ever would have paid though I still have no health insurance (thank you God for watching me over the course of this past year). Though I'm out of town most of the time, I feel like I will eventually find a full time gig in the ATL and probably for more than they would be paying me if I were at that hellhole now (including any annual increases).

But all I want in relation to that former employer is to be in the mall, and to see the butt cheek chaser. Have her come up to me with that fake smile and fake accent (which I think she uses to her advantage as well but no need to get into that). And then I lay into her like crabs into a crack whore.....oh one day it will happen...and I won't be the bigger person for it.....and I won't care.

No comments: