Wednesday, April 20, 2005

The Pope and Celebrity Death

You cannot believe how incredibly tired of the Pope I am. I understand a Pope died and that's sad. But I feel now as I did when Princess Di died. People die everyday. I'm not going to mourn someone I didn't know nor am I going to mourn someone that in no way shaped my life, touched my life, or inspired me. THe pope was the head of the Catholic Church...I'm not Catholic. I'm not saying I'm pleased he passed but I can say I'm pretty indifferent. Until there comes a time when a plumber's death and replacement can become worldwide news for a month, I will be fairly indifferent (for lack of a better word) to the deaths of people I don't know. Honestly, and perhaps this is ignorance on my part, all I remember about the recently departed Pope is him riding in a car waving. And I'm being very serious about this. He may have done great things but there are people doing great things everyday. I just can't up and put my emotions on the life of some faraway person because the media decides to follow, and glorify them. Princess Di? She died a horrific death. But I can't say that her death affected my life anymore than her life affected my life. 'Twas a sad occurrence but mourn I did not do.

When Tupac died, I felt something but his music affected my life. Did I cry? No. I said a silent prayer and asked for a moment of silence at a comedy show in college. After that, my life went on pretty much on the same track it was prior to his death. Every now and then, I have a 'I miss Tupac' moment but nothing more than that.

By the way, what exactly does the Pope do?

No comments: