Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Smoking ban revisited

I was posting this as a comment and decided to just make another post.

Smoking can cause all these diseases (as often stated in favor of a smoking ban). Well Red meat leads to cholesterol...ban it. Sex can lead to aids. . . . ban it. Tanning can cause skin cancer . . . ban it. Really since when has the government been that concerned with the health of its citizens. If they were truly concerned, they would ban the McDonalds, Burger Kings and Wendy's.

As far as my wife's personal preference, if she doesn't want to smell like smoke, fine. I consider that part of the 'going out' experience. Do I like smelling like smoke? No. Will I let it determine if I go out or stay home? Hell no.

And yes I smoke outside of my home, regardless of the temperature, I'm outside of my home when I smoke. I've never complained about it and I see plenty of folks who do the same thing. Which brings me to why I enjoy bars so much. It is because I can smoke inside comfortably.

The point is if the govt is going to decide what is healthy for it's constituents...then go all the way. Rid the world of ice cream parlors lending a hand to obesity, rid the world of tanning beds causing cancer, rid the world of chiropracters practicing a made up medicine, rid the world of guns 'cause people get shot, rid the world of poison ivy cuz that shit itches, rid the world of mosquitoes cuz they have cooties, in fact let's rid the world of anything that is not 100% absolutely positively healthy.

1 comment:

Scott said...

You can stop eating red meat and ice cream, but you can't avoid second hand smoke. As far as bars go I can't say much b/c that's smoking territory - like McDonalds is for kids.