Wednesday, March 09, 2005

HOV Lanes

I know there are going to be some folks who disagree with what I'm about to say (sorry ChakaBlnd), but I don't think you should be allowed in the HOV lanes if there is only 1 licensed driver in the car. That would mean driving kids around does not constitute usage of the HOV lanes.

Wait, before you get into that kids are people too thing, let me explain. The initial, and current, purpose for HOV lanes is to encourage carpooling. Carpooling inherently means driving multiple people around in a single vehicle who otherwise would be using additional vehicles. Kids don't drive, hence they shouldn't be considered a carpool. Now I know in some instances folks are driving other people's kids around but in most situations on the interstate, during rush hour, that is not the case. Add to that that most people drive slower when driving their kids around (as they should, my driving changes with kids (and my parents) in the car) and you see why I'm against kids in the HOV.

1 comment:

Xpinionated said...

The fact of the matter remains, using HOV to tote kids around is don't what the lane was intended for. Don't need to be a parent to see that it's being abused by parents.