Tuesday, October 26, 2004

BoSox and Underdog Bandwagons!!

This society is severely flawed. We love to build something or someone up and then once they reach a certain point, we revel in their collapse. This is particularly true in sports. We hope for, we pray for a dynasty, but if that dynasty lasts too long then it's all about rooting against. Prime example: the number of people that have suddenly become Boston Red Sox fans (and Patriots fans as well but we'll get to that in a different post).

Suddenly, everybody wants Boston to win it because they haven't won it 85 years. Well, let me spit on that a little bit.

1) They have consistently choked for 85 years. No curse of the bambino. That's childish denial for our team chokes. If your team chokes for 85% of a century, they deserve whatever they get. I will not, in fact, I loathe the idea of rooting for them because they haven't won in 85 years. Hell, there are some teams that have never won.

2) Rooting for the underdog doesn't make sense. If you're not a fan of either team, then just watch the game (I refuse to refer to baseball as a sport) for the enjoyment you receive from the game. Don't lose your credibility as a sports fan with bandwagon bullshit! Irag was an underdog against the U.S., are you secretly hoping they win the war??? No? Then what's your fascination with underdogs?

3) I digress a little here just so I can expound on severe dislike of Boston sports not because of the teams themselves but because of their fans. I'm a passionate fan for the teams in my sidebar. Have I ever wanted to fight someone because of their lack of support for my teams??!?! No. But my time in Boston led me to the conclusion that they are the ABSOLUTE WORST FANS ANYWHERE!!!

I sincerely hope Boston loses, not because St. Louis is the underdog...but because their fans don't deserve it!

No comments: