Thursday, October 21, 2004

Who says?

Can anyone tell me exactly why shit, fuck, and damn are curse words? At what point in human history did soceity decide that we don't like those words. I don't believe there is any biblical reasons behind the condemning of these words. I would look it up myself (and may still after my bachelor party weekend concludes) but I'm at work right now.

I find it odd that we call these bad words when they are actually some of the most flexible, understood words in language. Each of these words can be used singularly or in sentences conveying happiness, sadness, or shock. Yet, they are the bad words. If these words were more accepted, perhaps we would not work so diligently at creating slang such as the notoriously '80's fad of bad being good (must use the Run DMC line now: Not bad meaning bad but bad meaning good).

I'm off to ponder....

2 comments:

Xpinionated said...

And tell me nudity is not the shiznit!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hallelujah, pass the Tylenol!

I've soapboxed that issue several times. What if I decided that jello was going to be a bad word? Hey, you jello head! Jello you! It's just as silly as the rest.

Rowan
http://rowan.blogdrive.com