Thursday, December 23, 2004

Christmas Day

I'm reading all these herds of sheep . . .oops sportswriters. . . reporting on the showdown between the Lakers and the Heat Saturday and quite honestly I'm disgusted.

I'm disgusted at the media's portrayal of this regular season game in december.

I'm disgusted that ESPN finds it necessary to continue to hash, and rehash, and rehash in their 5 part series the relationship between Kobe Bryant and the Big Mouthy.

I'm disgusted that the Big Mouthy can be blatantly hypocritical and the media strokes him like some foolish puppy. How does one say they aren't going to feed into the hype and then agree to an interview during half time of Monday night football?

I'm disgusted that implications of rough play go completely unnoticed when said by the big Mouthy but I guarantee you the refereeing at the Pacers - Pistons game will be tighter than a stripper's legs when talking to a non tipping patron.

I'm disgusted that Jason Whitlock is even allowed to write for ESPN Page 2. His latest piece of work remarks that Kobe's big mistake was telling his wife the truth. This he says after declaring that he is some big wig in the Big Brothers Big Sisters program of Kansas City. Is this the kind of advice a big brother should be giving???? In fact, that story may need it's own post entirely!

I'm disgusted that the media acts like Miami's success and L.A.'s troubles are some big surprise. When the trade occurred, anyone watching the NBA knew that the Lakers weren't getting fair market value. They knew we weren't going to be giving it to folks. They also knew Miami got the better side of that trade (at least until they give the Big Greedy some money, and his toes start hurting or some other body part that the average athlete plays through goes bad). Will Miami win a championship? No. They may be in the championship but they couldn't hang with the top 3 teams in the west for seven games if they wanted to.

I love the Lakers. I love the NBA. But I'm amazed at how quickly love for a player can turn to resentment, disgust, and teeter on the edge of hate. I am seriously considering burning or at least getting rid of my o'neal (the level of respect that I have for the Big Mouthy has reduced it self to lower case letters for his name) jerseys. Being a fan since '84, I have never willingly gotten rid of a jersey. His may be the first. I'm disgusted even looking at them!

2 comments:

Maine said...

Oh... so YOU'RE that last remaining Kobe Bryant fan. I was wondering where you were. :)

Nice to meet you.

Xpinionated said...

Perhaps I am, but I am proudly. A player's personal life is what I try to avoid....what happens on the court is why I love this team and their players.