Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Read the this post from the annoyed Canadian

This post from the annoyed Canadian kinda annoyed me....read it here since I really don't have permission to reprint it. Also, read my comment back as this topic has bothered me for quite some time.

I really wish people would stop putting the impetus for role modeling on celebrities whether they be musicians, actors, athletes or whatever. The emphasis for role modeling should basically be if you don't know the person personally, then you should find another role model. It starts with the parents. Parents should be the first option as a role model. Secondly, school teachers or pastors (if you're the church going type), aunts, uncles, somebody that you come in actual daily or at least periodic contact with. It's fine to look up to Magic Johnson or some celebrity but kids shouldn't be copying celebrities. One, these are grown adults who are forced to live their personal life in the public eye due to a societal sickness to be extremely nosey. Two, these people didn't ask to be role models so they shouldn't be held accountable as such.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

*applause*

Great response! One of my biggest gripes is people judging others based on appearance. I could step up on a soapbox, but I won't. You already took care of that;)

Rowan
http://rowan.blogdrive.com

The Mildly Annoyed Canadian said...

Feel free to reprint in Xavier - I think if you read the response on my blog you'll understand that our views aren't that different. By the way, I've read through your blog and have enjoyed your postings - keep up the good work!